Saturday, August 27, 2011

explore life

It has been far too long since I've updated this blog.  I guess that I could sit and make up excuses, like pregnancy, summer, traveling to visit family, all that jazz... but that's not valid, considering how many hours I spend checking twitter, facebook, et cetera. during the day.  So really, we'll just chalk it up to me being lazy, and having not been taking a lot of photos that aren't just casual nonsense lately.

Thursday and Friday, we spent most of the evenings - post-work - preparing for Irene's arrival.  Though we are not in the eye of the storm or anything, we're predicted to get hurricane-strength winds and over a foot of rain.  So we cleaned up the yard of anything that might blow away/damage something, straightened up the basement, stocked up on snacks and water and armed ourselves with movies - at least, to occupy ourselves until the power goes out... if it does, heaven forbid.

While Chris was on the roof cleaning out the gutters, pregnant me spent a good half-hour crawling around the yard, taking photos of the small, yet intriguing, living 'critters' that I found.  I wanted to get a few photos from the view off the roof, but apparently that's dangerous when you're 10 pounds heavier + with child, so I was told to stay on the ground and call 911 if Chris fell off the roof.  Yes, great plan.  So although I missed what he says was an amazing view, I did get some cool photographs. 

 My once-beautiful hydrangeas are saying their final farewells - yet they still retain such beauty, despite their lack of vibrant coloration.  I am really tempted to pick a few and dry them in the basement over the winter, but I didn't think of this in a timely manner and I can only hope they're not too damaged after the storm...

Our yard's completely covered in mushrooms and other types of fungi, due to the excessive rain we've been getting over the past few weeks.   Chris was fascinated that I was taking photos of them, because he's been waiting for a dry day during which he can destroy the massive amounts of fungus.  I told him that he can... after I'm done photographing them.  

 This is the first year that my butterfly bush has taken to the weather and blossomed with multiple, healthy blooms.  I've been tickled to watch the various critters who come to visit (when it's not raining outside, anyway) - and got a few close-ups of a bumblebee.  He's not quite as pretty or fascinating as some of the other visitors, but still, it's not very often where I get to have such a close encounter with one, since I normally pay no attention to them.  

 My most frequent visitor - I think he's out there every day when I get home from work.  But again, first time I've gotten close enough to get some photos.  Hoping that next year, we get even more butterflies since I've only seen two varieties this summer, thus far. 

Okay, I admittedly had no idea what this was - and at first I thought it was a hummingbird.  I got closer and realized that it was not, but appeared to be some type of insect, and was lying on my stomach snapping photos while yelling to Chris, "Be ready to call 911 if it stings me!"  (I'm allergic to bees.)  He was off the roof by this point, and told me that he thought it was a hummingbird bee, but was unsure if they sting or not.  Google informs me that this is actually a type of moth; and completely harmless.  Needless to say, I was totally pumped I caught him with my camera since who knows when I'll see one again!

More fungus; growing on the stump in my neighbor's yard.  

One tiny glimpse into the marvelous garden that my neighbor has cultivated.  He truly has the blessing of a green thumb, and I need to get out to photograph his gardens more often, because they're amazing.

Anyway, that's enough of an update for now; but I hope to get myself posting more frequently on here again.  The world's just too beautiful to be ignored, and wasted. 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment