Saturday, May 7, 2011

these are the days when Birds come back -

I went riding today, as I do most Saturdays.  The sun was shining, and early morning dew was still clinging to every inch of the earth when I got to the barn.  JR and I went for a nice, hour-long ride through the swamps and as I sat, I marveled over the beauty of the world around me.  Surrounded by red-winged blackbirds and mockingbirds and Canadian geese and their goslings, I couldn't help but wish I had brought my camera.  But the images will forever linger in my brain, because today was a day of truest perfection. 

(the below photo was taken the last time I rode JR, which was another beautiful morning as well; as I stated, I didn't think to bring my camera today so...)

 

These are the days when Birds come back --
A very few -- a Bird or two --
To take a backward look.

These are the days when skies resume
The old -- old sophistries of June --
A blue and gold mistake.

Oh fraud that cannot cheat the Bee --
Almost thy plausibility
Induces my belief.

Till ranks of seeds their witness bear --
And softly thro' the altered air
Hurries a timid leaf.

Oh Sacrament of summer days,
Oh Last Communion in the Haze --
Permit a child to join.

Thy sacred emblems to partake --
They consecrated bread to take
And thine immortal wine!

-Emily Dickenson

photo taken by my husband, Christopher.  please do not use without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment