Wednesday, October 5, 2011

all about food ; are we surprised ?

After the initial excitement and happiness of finding out that we were expecting a baby, I remember one of my predominant thoughts was (continuously), “Score, I can eat _______ because nobody can comment on me getting fat because I’m pregnant.”  This was my excuse for everything – Arby’s multiple times a week (well that and every time you go there, there’s a coupon on the back of your receipt for a free sandwich, meaning MOAR ARBY’S!), cheese as often as I pleased, wings if the craving struck, and a severe lack of exercise to boot, seeing that I was feeling sick and run-down for awhile in the beginning. 

Now, I step on the scale and realize, “Well, grand.  That was a great plan until… now.” 

For one, as someone who never ate much fast food to begin with, my body almost immediately hated the shift of diet and I got sick after eating most of what I devoured greedily.  Did that stop me?  Not really.  Also, combined with my lack of exercise, covering my adorable baby bump is a layer of blubber that makes me feel like a whale, or bear preparing for hibernation.  It’s a bit revolting, actually; to me, anyway.  Everyone else says I look cute, I’m all belly, etc. 

Yeah, all belly except for that nice double-chin that peeks out in photos sometimes, the flab on my butt and thighs that used to be almost-toned and the jiggle that my arms surrenders every time I breathe, let along make any sort of hand gesture.

So this week, I’ve decided that I really need to stop saying, “Hi, I need to be less of a fat kid,” and actually need to be proactive.  Now I can’t really lose weight, as that is severely frowned upon by doctors – or from what I’m told anyway.  But I was told my goal should be to slow down my weight gain, and focus on just making healthier choices and getting on my feet a bit more.

Subtract out a celebratory Snickers last night after the Phillies’ close-call win against the Cardinals and a must-have-or-I-kill-someone brownie from Starbucks from today’s lunch, and I’ve actually done okay. 

Saturday I walked all over creation with my mom, and it felt amazing.  I was sore, so Sunday I didn’t do anything (which well, I was in a car for 6 hours total anyway), but I felt I deserved the rest.  I did a light pre-natal DVD workout Monday, and some of the moves from said workout last night while I watched Glee.  Today I plan to break out the DVD again and do the full routine (30 minutes), plus dishes and laundry. 

Eating-wise, I’ve been at 2-3 apples a day, filling with them instead of empty calories from the vending machine.  Breakfast is always cereal (organic cheerios, essentially), unsweetened vanilla almond milk and an apple.  Lunch has been varied – leftover chili, spaghetti squash, a fruit and veggie plate that I mixed up myself… etc.  Dinners were all home-made; no eating out this week! 

So I’m proud.  It’s only Wednesday, but I’ve really been pushing myself to get back to a shadow of the person I used to be, pre-pregnancy.  Not that I was thin and healthy but I was doing a lot better than I have been lately. 

Anyway, going to keep busting my butt and trying to slow down the gain just a tad.

In other news, I told Chris that after I have the baby, there’s two things I’m demanding be delivered to me ASAP for consumption: a giant Turkey Diablo Primo Hoagie (best hoagies in the world) and a giant glass of Riesling wine, semi-dry.  Yes, indeed. 



Also, sharing a yummy-looking recipe for the sake of such; I’m making these this weekend:

Om nom nom.

Cheers to healthy eating, healthier lifestyles and a healthy baby / momma-to-be!

No comments:

Post a Comment